What is Competency Management?
At Hula, we define Competency Management as:
– The entirety of assigning, assessing, and tracking the knowledge, skills, and experience required to perform specific activities
– Understanding the key roles that drive your organization and business goals
A good competency management process allows you to view everything through a single pane of glass rather then through multiple systems such as a combination of LMS, Training and Development, Performance form and an Employee Portal. You should be able to manage talent and development based on employee experience and competencies all on one platform.
Why do I need it?
– For the Current Role: These are the employees working to close the gaps between their assessments and their current role requirements. When Competency Management is done well, visibility into the steps needed to close these gaps are clearly defined.
– For the Future Role: Employees can clearly see what skills are required for the next role in their career. Furthermore, future roles should be suggested to the employee based on their assessment profile
– Relevance: Competency gaps provides the demand for training. Competency Management can allow you to get the most out of your LMS, and avoid scheduling erroneous unnecessary course.
-Planning: Training excellence can become a integral part of your company culture when delivered to your employees in the context of their daily job. This way, they understand exactly why they need to take the class, and which areas to focus on first.
- Compliance and Safety Incidents
– Shift Balancing: Clearly understanding which competencies have a direct impact on operational safety and who in your team does and does not comply with these requirements. If the team doesn’t have sufficient coverage in a safety critical competency then the supervisor can balance that shift
– Audit: Managing competencies allows you to prove compliance to auditors, whether internal, external, yearly scheduled event or following an incident.
- Time to Revenue
– Increase in Revenue: By cutting time to revenue by a significant percentage, you are saving costs that you would use by supporting employees that aren’t properly trained.
- Workforce Planning
– Efficient and Correct: By being able to see everything in one system, you can quickly search, analyze schedule your projects and shifts with your best people.
For more information on Competency Management frameworks, check out these resources.